Two Syracuse University rising seniors will be selected in the spring of their junior year as all-University representatives for the Class of 2021, and will have unique opportunities throughout 2020-21 to engage with various University stakeholders, help select their commencement speaker, and discuss their student experience and offer constructive suggestions with senior administrators.
Application Requirements and Process
- Only current Syracuse University juniors, graduating in May 2021, who are enrolled in undergraduate programs are eligible to apply. (Must be on campus during the entirety of their senior year.)
- All applicants must submit a complete application, an essay (maximum 600 words), an official Syracuse University transcript (available from the Office of the Registrar), and solicit recommendations from two nominators who are Syracuse University faculty or staff members.
- Only the official online application form, plus one additional document for the essay, and official transcript (obtained from the Registrar, scanned and attached), should be submitted by the applicant. (Faculty/staff nominators must submit their recommendations independently online.) Additional information will not be considered.
- Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, January 26, 2020.
- Selection criteria will be based upon scholarship, academic honors, student organization involvement, campus and community service, exhibited school spirit, and a written essay.
- The search committee, composed of Division of Enrollment and the Student Experience staff, will interview selected finalists in February 2020 (exact dates TBD).
Role and Expectations
- Marshals will help recommend the 2021 Commencement speaker. Discussions begin spring 2020.
- Marshals will be offered opportunities and strongly encouraged to engage in at least one event with each of the following:
- Alumni (through the Office of Alumni Engagement)
- Division of Enrollment and the Student Experience (includes involvement in student organization sponsored events)
- Office of Special Events (major public and private events involving the participation of the Chancellor, President, Vice Chancellor and Provost)
- Marshals will have the opportunity to meet personally with a senior University administrator near the end of their senior year, to discuss their SU experience and offer insights and suggestions.
- Marshals will lead their class during the University’s 167th Commencement ceremonies in the Dome in May 2021.
If you would like to nominate a student for Senior Class Marshal and understand the requirements and expectations as stated above, please submit the nomination form. Please note, the Senior Class Marshals are different from the College Marshals, which are selected to represent each school and college.
For more information regarding the application process and timeline, please contact Denise Dowdall, executive assistant within the Division of Enrollment and the Student Experience, by email at email@example.com or by calling 315.443.4424.