To assist you in building your unique Becoming Orange journey, the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs has organized tasks to help you successfully transition to Syracuse University. It is encouraged to complete required tasks as soon as possible. For additional information or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs.
- New Student Checklist [PDF] (Coming soon!)
- Packing Checklist [PDF] (Coming soon!)
The ease at which you can unload your car should help determine what to pack. Students should bring only the essentials.
- Academic Supplies (e.g. Backpack, Calendar/Planner, Calculator)
- Bedding (e.g. Pillows, Blankets, Twin XL Sheets)
- Clothing for winter and early spring.
- Laundry Supplies (Consider pod style detergent and a laundry bag instead of basket.)
- Small Fan
- Toiletries for the first few weeks. (It is recommend to ship additional items after arrival.)
- Additional Furniture (e.g. Large Lamps, Shelving)
- Candles, Incense, etc.
- Cooking Appliances (e.g. Hot Plates, Toaster Ovens, Crockpots, Grills)
- Expensive/Irreplaceable Collectibles or Jewelry
- Firearms, Weapons, Fireworks
- General Purpose Extension Cords
- Halogen Lamps and Multi-heated Floor Lamps
- Large Appliances (e.g. Air Conditioners, Refrigerators Over 5 cubic feet, Microwaves Over 1,000 watts)
- Large Grocery Items (e.g. Cases of Water)
- Large Pieces of Furniture
- Wall Mounted Televisions
It is encouraged to complete required tasks as soon as possible. Failure to complete requirements may result in losing the ability to register for classes, additional charges and/or a Conduct Hold on your student account, hindering studying abroad, participating in Athletics, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs and more.
For your convenience, you may wish to establish a personal bank account with a local bank prior to your arrival on campus. Information concerning types of accounts available, minimum deposits and required identification to open the accounts are available from each bank. For more information please visit the Treasurer's Office website.
Please note, local banks will not cash personal checks unless you have an account with them. Therefore, you will want to plan ahead and establish an account to have access to funds via an ATM machine.
Matriculated Syracuse University students may open a Campus Store Charge account to pay for online or in-store purchases.
For complete terms and conditions, and to apply for a Campus Store Charge account, visit the Campus Store website. For additional information or questions, call 315.443.9900 or email the Campus Store.
'CuseTech, hosted in the Syracuse University Campus Store is your campus technology center offering education priced Apple products such as Macbooks and iPads, Dell PC’s, gaming systems, computer accessories and more. Additionally, the Campus Store offers special offer trade-in programs and extended warranties covering accidental damage and liquid spills.
For additional information or questions, call 315.443.9900 or email the Campus Store.
Syracuse University seeks to promote equal access to educational opportunities for all students. Incoming students who believe they have a current and essential need for disability related accommodations and resources, should complete the Syracuse University Disability Resources Registration Form.
Students are encouraged to visit the O-Zone Student Pass webpage for updated information.
In addition to registering for Orange Alert, Syracuse University’s crisis alert notification system, the University offers the Rave Guardian Safety Mobile App.
Using the Rave Guardian Safety Mobile App, users can stay connected and receive important campus notifications, communicate with campus safety, and gain access to resources needed most. Visit the Rave Guardian Safety Mobile App webpage to learn more.
- Easy Emergency Communication
- Virtual Escort Feature
- Anonymous Tip Reporting and Real-Time Chat
- Push Notifications
- Quick Access to Critical Resources
Please visit the Department of Public Safety (DPS) website for helpful advice on personal safety, crime prevention, statistics, campus alerts and DPS events. For more information or questions, please call 315.443.2224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are invited to participate in the Syracuse University Campus Store MicroFridge Rental program. Reservations may be made on the Campus Store MicroFridge Rental webpage.
Organize your finances for college and beyond by partnering with a Syracuse Smart Money Coach to create your Orange Budget. Begin your financial journey by scheduling an appointment in Orange Success.
- First-Year residential students are not eligible and must petition to request a permit.
- First-Year commuter students are eligible to purchase a permit by completing the Student Parking Permit Application.
- New Transfer students, using their NetID and password, may purchase a permit on MySlice by selecting “Parking Services.”
New York State sales tax is not charged for textbooks required and recommended for courses. The Campus Store accepts Campus Store Charge, Campus Store gift cards, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express for online purchases. In addition, for in-store purchases with a valid SUID, the Campus Store accepts SUpercard PLUS, personal checks and cash. For additional information or questions, call 315.443.9900 or email the Campus Store.
- Access your course schedule by logging in to MySlice. (You will need your NetID and password.)
- Then visit the Syracuse University Campus Store website.
- In the top left select “Books” and then select “Syracuse Course Materials.”
- Under “Find Your Textbooks” and then under “Select a Term” enter your course schedule details. When complete select “Find Books.”
- Select your delivery or in-store pick-up preference when completing your order. Please note, residence hall delivery and in-store pick-up is free.
Syracuse University students have the opportunity to update their personal information, such as their preferred name and personal pronouns within MySlice. (You will need your NetID and password.)
This is an optional task that students may update throughout their time at Syracuse University. For additional information, please visit the Pronouns Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage and the Preferred Name Type Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage.