The fraternity and sorority experience has long been a vital part of the Syracuse University community promoting an enriching, collaborative, and unified environment that values leadership, diversity, service, growth, and scholarship. The university has long supported and encouraged fraternity and sorority chapters in their efforts to improve both Syracuse University and the local surrounding communities.
This legacy should be preserved and nurtured by the best of those organizations and individuals who are supportive of the University’s mission as well as its policies. All recognized fraternities and sororities have worked diligently with Fraternity and Sorority Affairs to maintain their chapter in good standing. Membership in fraternities and sororities must be a safe and productive learning experience for all. Not striving toward these values as well as not adhering to policy can jeopardize the rich history of the fraternity and sorority community at Syracuse University.
University Statuses are meant to allow students and organizations to reflect on their behavior and the decisions they made that led to their being found responsible for violating the Code of Student Conduct. The following determined status designations are resulting from a process conducted by the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities and supported by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.
Sigma Chi [ΣΧ]:
Interim Suspension (pending resolution of investigation)
The following organizations are currently not allowed to operate at Syracuse University.
Under no circumstance should a student or other organization affiliate itself with the organizations listed below. Evidence of a suspended or revoked chapter functioning as an “underground” unrecognized organization may extend their period of suspension.
- Alpha Chi Rho (AXP): “Crow”
- Alpha Epsilon Pi (ΑΕΠ): “AEPi”
- Alpha Tau Omega (ATO): “ATO”
- Chi Upsilon Sigma (ΧΥΣ): “CUS, Cussi”
- Delta Tau Delta (ΔΤΔ): “Delt. ‘Tavern'”
- Nu Alpha Phi (ΝΑΦ): “Nappy”
- Phi Delta Theta (ΦΔΘ): “Phi Delt”
- Phi Gamma Delta (ΦΓΔ): “FIJI”
- Pi Kappa Alpha (ΠΚΑ): “PIKE”
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon (ΣΑΕ): “SAE”
- Sigma Alpha Mu (ΣΑΜ): “Sammy”
- Sigma Iota Alpha (ΣIA): “SIA”
- Tau Kappa Epsilon (ΤΚΕ): “TeKe”
- Theta Tau (ΘΤ): “Theta Tau”
- Zeta Beta Tau(ΖΒΤ): “ZBT”
- Zeta Phi Beta (ΖΦΒ): “ZPhiB, Zetas”