Student Health Insurance
Matriculated Full-Time Students
All full-time, matriculated students are required to demonstrate proof of qualifying health insurance coverage. Through the Syracuse University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), eligible students have access to comprehensive health care coverage. To enroll or waive the SHIP, students should complete the health insurance decision form on MySlice by the published deadline.
For more information about the health insurance plan and to access frequently asked questions, please visit the Student Health Insurance website.
Matriculated Part-Time Students, Non-Matriculated Students, Students on OPT and Visiting Scholars
The following individuals are NOT subject to the University health insurance requirement; however, proof of insurance is required by the Center for International Services:
- Students who are in their last semester of study and allowed to be registered part-time
- Non-matriculated students (SU Abroad Exchange Students, Humphrey Fellows)
- Students applying for or approved for OPT
- Visiting Scholars in J-1 Professor, Research Scholar, Short-term Scholar, Specialist or Student Intern Status
Four policies are recommended for acceptable coverage:
- Seven Corners Insurance Company
- Student Express:Choices of $250,000 to $1,000,000 medical max. $25 deductible in network. 80% coverage to $10,000 then 100% to max ($2,000 max out of pocket.) $10 or $20 for prescriptions.
- Liaison Student:$5,000,000 lifetime max. Options from $50,000 to $500,000 per injury / illness. Option of 100% coverage after deductible or 80% to plan max. Choice of $100 or $50 deductible. $10 and $20 for prescriptions.
- International Student Protection (ISP)
- HTH Worldwide (Voluntary Plan)
- Syracuse University eligible students and scholars should select either SYRACUSE BASIC or SYRACUSE PLUS. If you are enrolling a DEPENDENT (F-2 or J-2 family member), select VOYAGER at the top of the screen.
Please note, these policies do not meet the qualifying coverage standards for full-time matriculated students and therefore, will not waive the SHIP.
It is strongly advised that you do not have a lapse in coverage. If your current coverage expires before arrival, sign up for new coverage as soon as possible, even if you will not be in the U.S. until a later date. You should never have a lapse in coverage, even when you are out of the country.
Please provide the Center for International Services with a copy (either electronic or hard copy) of your enrollment agreement, and the receipt with starting and ending dates of your coverage. You must have health insurance in effect every day of your stay in the U.S.
If you have questions, you may contact Syracuse University Student Health Insurance Office.
F-1 International students are strongly encouraged to maintain adequate health insurance while they remain in the U.S. J-1 visa holders are required by regulation to maintain health insurance at minimum levels, including medical evacuation and repatriation.
If your health insurance policy does not include coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation, you may purchase a supplementary insurance through ISP/Begins for $40 (annually) or $23 (semi-annually) through the ISP website.
Millions of dollars are lost every year due to property theft, accidental damage, fire, water, vandalism, etc. Palmer Student Programs can help protect your property and ensure that you will be able to continue your studies in the unfortunate event a personal belonging is damaged or lost. All personal belongings will be covered, including but not limited to: cell phone, laptop, tablet, PC, bikes, books, clothes, jewelry, musical instruments, and more!
Visit the Palmer Student Programs website for a more detailed description and to enroll in coverage online.