Safe Zone is a campus-wide program provided by the LGBTQ Resource Center committed to making Syracuse University safer, more welcoming, and an inclusive environment for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) community. While recognizing that the name of our workshop is a misnomer, the Safe Zone program aims to build a network of students, staff, faculty, and community members who are visibly and actively committed to advocating for and creating spaces of respect and inclusion for LGBTQ+ members of our community at SU.
After completing this 2-hour workshop, participants will be able to:
- Use gender-inclusive pronouns.
- Define key terms and identities relating to the LGBTQ+ communities.
- Understand how privilege and oppression create barriers for LGBTQ+ inclusivity on campus and in our communities at large.
- Recognize the ways we can create a positive campus climate for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff as allies and advocates.
- Identify the resources available at Syracuse University and the larger Syracuse community.
Safe Zone dates and times for the Summer 2021 season are as follows:
- Tuesday, June 22, 2:00-4:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 21, 1:00-3:00 PM
- Tuesday, August 17, 2:00-4:00 PM
All sessions are virtual and will be hosted over Zoom. To register, please fill out the Safe Zone Registration form.
To request a Safe Zone workshop for your group or department, please email us at email@example.com.