We look forward to welcoming you on campus for SummerStart 2021! As you prepare to begin your Becoming Orange journey, please review the following important information about required tasks, course selection, placement exams, preparing to arrive, move-in and orientation, policies and additional resources.
- Immediate Action: Setup NetID and Password
- Immediate Action: Access Syracuse University Email Account
- Due June 25 - Program charges paid
- Due July 1- Provide Proof of the COVID-19 Vaccine
- Due July 1- Submit your photo to SU I.D. Card Services. Your SU I.D. card will serve as your official University identification and will give you access to residence halls, dining centers, snack operations, athletic facilities, library privileges, vending machines, Stadium and Box Office events. (Your SU I.D. will be waiting for you at Ernie Davis Residence Hall check-in at move-in.)
- Due July 15 - Complete Community Wellness Requirement: Three EVERFI Training Modules. Instructions are located on the Community Wellness Requirements webpage.
Visit the First-Year and Transfer Programs website for a complete list of all required tasks for incoming students.
Through the SummerStart program, you will take foundational courses that help complete required coursework early and classes tailored to your program and interests. You will receive personalized attention from faculty in a small and supportive classroom setting.
The course sections are open to SummerStart participants only. However, students, in consultation with their college advisors, may select an alternative course from the University curriculum. College advisors will contact students via email prior to arrival to determine appropriate course selection and schedule.
Once registered for courses, you can purchase textbooks and course materials through the Syracuse University Campus Store.
To ensure proper course selections, all SummerStart students must complete placement exams in math and writing. Your prompt completion of the exam will ensure your enrollment in the appropriate writing and math course. For students in the music, art, drama, or transmedia programs of the College of Visual and Performing Arts, the mathematics test is optional.
Exams must be completed on or before June 25, 2021.
These exams are given under the honor system. Note that these assessments are for placement purposes only, with no impact on your course grades. They should accurately reflect your skill level in order to assure your placement in the course.
Math Placement Exam
The math placement exam is available via MySlice > Student Services > Placement Exams > Take Placement Exams.
Writing Placement Exam
The writing placement exam is included in the SummerStart application.
Wondering what you should bring to campus? Please refer to the What to Bring, What Not to Bring Move-in Checklist. For your time during SummerStart, please also remember to bring dress attire or business casual attire for SummerStart banquet on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021.
Please Note: It will not be possible for you to return home prior to the start of the fall semester.
Move-in is scheduled for Saturday, July 17, 2021. Students should be moved in and ready to begin by 5 p.m.
Orientation will take place Saturday, July 17, 2021 and Sunday, July 18, 2021.
Additional information and a full schedule will be available soon.
Transportation to the University is available via taxi/Uber/Lyft from the airport, train and bus stations. The cost is approximately $30 to $50 and the travel time takes approximately 20 minutes.
As part of the SummerStart program to promote student success, we have researched many resources that are available both on the Syracuse University campus and on the web. Students will find these resources helpful in navigating the roadblocks that can occur when transitioning from high school to college study. We highly recommend checking out the following links.
- Banking Information
- Barnes Center at The Arch
- Campus Map
- Campus Store
- Career Services
- Center for Disability Resources (CDR)
- Center for Fellowship & Scholarship Advising
- Center for International Services
- Center for Learning & Student Success (CLASS)
- Community Folk Art Center
- Connective Corridor
- ‘CuseWorks - Student Employment
- Dean of Students Office
- Degree Works
- Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Disability Cultural Center
- Hendricks Chapel
- Housing, Meal Plan, and I.D. Card Services
- Information Technology Services (ITS)
- La Casita Cultural Center
- LGBTQ Resource Center
- Financial Literacy
- Math Clinics & Calculus Help Center
- Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA)
- Office of the Bursar
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Programs
- Office of Student Living
- Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR)
- Orange Success
- Physics Clinic
- Shaw Center
- Student Activities
- Syracuse Abroad
- SU Libraries
- Writing Center
“SummerStart is a time for you to enjoy how beautiful campus is and provides you with the confidence to familiarize yourself with available resources and facilities on campus; this is helpful especially if you’re a first-generation student going away for college. Take short breaks and take walks with friends to get a sense of where your safe spaces will be, where you’d like to go for fun or where you’d see yourself studying.”